Tuesday, July 20, 2010

CSA Share

So this is my third year of doing a CSA share, the first year it was all new to me and even more so the food, second year was getting my groove, and well this year getting a lot more experimental with things.
This week when we arrived it was so beautiful, all the colors, kids playing, flowers, oh my!!



There was some sampling this week"boy do my kids love that" they act like I don't feed them and what hurts is they look like I don't either but I swear I do and boy can my boy eat my girl not so much more like a bird. The lady was handing out pickled carrots Oh my are they good and addicting. The kids loved them. And now the 2lbs of carrots are soaking in the fridge should be ready to taste for dinner tomm night.
Here is the receipe for :

Pickled Carrot Sticks:

1lb carrots cut into 3 1/2 inch sticks
1 1/4 cups of water
1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup of sugar
2 garlic cloves,lightly crushed
1 1/12 tablespoons dill seed( during summer add fresh dill with seed heads to make a pretty jar)
1 1/12 Tablespoons of salt

Blanch carrots in a 4 qt saucepan of boiling water well-salted water for 1 minute, drain in a colander and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Transfer to any heatproof bowl or glass jars with a sprig of fresh dill.

Combine water, vinegar, sugar, garlic dill seed, and salt to the same saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Pour mixture over carrots, cool carrots uncovered, then refrigerate tightly covered for at least a day to allow flavors to develop. The carrots keep refridgerated in airtight container for up to a month.

I can't wait to try ours, here's hoping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment